May 22, 2009

The Trouble with Demons - Review


The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares, Book 3)
By Lisa Shearin
Ace, April 28, 2009

[Reviewed by Melissa A. Palmer]

Unbeknownst to me, The Trouble with Demons is the third book in a series that I have never read. However, that did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. The author gives enough background so this book stands well on its own.

Raine is an elf and is the keeper of this magic stone, called the Saghred. The Saghred has given Raine magical powers and sort of uses her to be an outlet for its power. This stone is something that a lot of supernatural powerhouses want—both good and bad magical beings are after it and the key to open it.

Early on in the book, a Hellgate opens and demons come swarming through, leaving carnage everywhere. Raine has to figure out how to close the Hellgate. Helping her is Tam, a dark mage, and Michael, a white knight. The three of them form a preternatural bond that is very strong and very illegal, combining dark and light magic in a way that has never been done before. Of course, Raine also has romantic feelings for Tam and Michael so they are a triangle in many ways.

This book had good action in it. There were multiple battles between good and evil forces. There is the romantic element to the book as well—nothing over the top but it adds a layer to make this not just an action book. The author has created good, strong characters—Raine has a temper but a good heart; Michael is good and strong and does the right thing; Tam has a touch of the dark side but Raine is his weak spot and that keeps him from being totally bad. There are also excellent supporting characters in this book, especially Raine’s father, cousin and uncle.

I enjoyed this book and would continue to read more (since the ending seems to be heading into the next book) and would even go back and read the first two in the series to fill in the gaps. I would recommend this book to fans of paranormal literature.


This review was written for Patricia's Vampire Notes
by Melissa A. Palmer


Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares, Book 1) Ace (May 29, 2007)


Armed & Magical (Raine Benares, Book 2) Ace (April 29, 2008)

4 comments:

Lisa Shearin said...

Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Trouble with Demons! I'm writing Raine's fourth adventure right now (Bewitched & Betrayed). When you read Magic Lost, Trouble Found and Armed & Magical, please email me -- or post another wonderful review ; ) -- and let me know how you liked them. I love getting reader feedback.

Thank you for the great review and take care!

Lisa
lisa @ lisashearin.com

Vickie said...

I trust you, Patricia, adding to the Wanton Wantin' Book List.....

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Vickie

The review was actually written by guest reviewer Melissa. So I haven't read it yet.

I can say it looks like one I want to read.

Donna said...

I just bought the first two books in this series since I've been seeing so many good reviews on this book.

Thanks for the review Melissa, enjoyed it.