May 13, 2009

Blue Diablo - Review

Blue Diablo: A Corine Solomon Novel by Ann Aguirre. Roc, April 7, 2009.

[Reviewed by Patricia]

Corine Solomon has found a quiet secluded neighborhood of Mexico City. She has lived there a year and runs a small pawn shop. This is a good place to hide. No one can find her or so she hopes. But someone did track her down. A person who had been very special in her life until the day she decided for her own safety and sanity she had to leave him.

Chance, the man she ran from, her former partner and lover, finds Corine. He needs her help, he says, because his mother, Min, has disappeared in Laredo, Texas. Only one clue has been left behind, a small Buddha. Chance wants Corrine to use her gift to touch the small statue and tell him what she sees. Corine is a handler, and this psychic gift has given her much pain.

Reluctantly Corine agrees to hold the Buddha. She has a brief glimpse of a white truck before the pain forces her to let go. Corine's gift comes with a price. The objects that tell their story emit heat. Metal is especially bad. She has scars on the palms of her hands to prove it. Her gift came from her mother who died in a fire deliberately set.

Eventually Corine and Chance come to an agreement. She will help him find his mother, and he will help her locate those responsible for her own mother's death.

Corine, who narrates the events of the story, is fragile and tough, and has suffered many hurts throughout her life beginning with witnessing her mother's horrifying death. She is also a keen observer of people and happenings around her. Her wounded spirit often causes her to have unwarranted suspicions, but this antenna has also saved her life on occasion.

Aguirre has created a likable, believable heroine. In fact all of the characters are well realized. At the center of the story is a complex, paranormal mystery. Corrine, Chance, the psychically gifted police detective Jesse, and other "talented" friends must use all of their resources to solve it. I should add that unexpected help comes from a cute, prescient chihuahua named Butch.

Blue Diablo is an excellent beginning to a new urban fantasy series. A series I will definitely follow!

[Reviewed by Patricia]






Book 2 Hell Fire coming late ‘09 from Roc.

Book 3 Shady Lady. No pub. information yet.

13 comments:

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I was NOT a fan of this book. My personality clashed with Corine's. I found her weak and I do not like a weak female lead. I most likely will not finish this series. :(

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Jessica

I have picked up books where for whatever reason I didn't like a main character and therefore hated the book. Sorry you didn't like Corine.

To me Corine showed a lot of strength by putting herself back into a world that had caused her a huge amount of hurt. I empathized with her.

Even though we disagree I'm glad you took the time to comment.

Vickie said...

I am reading this one now. It's my bedside book since I get more reading time in just before sleep and when I wake. I moved it to my purse since I am sooooo close to finishing. It is a very cool page turner and I am definitely looking forward to reading more of the series.

Vickie said...

And I agree, Corine shows a lot of strength of character putting herself back out there from her cozy little shop and life. She's got issues, but I can identify with them.

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Vickie

Yes, Corine is a very sympathetic character.

tea said...

Good book and good review, thanks.

Patricia Altner said...

Thank you, Tea

Kristen said...

This book sounds so good. I love paranormal fiction, especially if it has a strong female character. I just read a book you might enjoy called Forbidden: The Temptation. Samantha Sommersby’s Forbidden universe rocks with sexy vampires, wildly irreverent weres, and sassy kick-butt heroines.

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Kristen

Just took a look at Sommersby’s page. Hot stuff!

Thanks for pointing it out. I'm always interested in finding new books and authors.

Donna said...

Nice review, you such a wonderful way with words on your reviews. :)

I really enjoyed this book. It was a refreshing change to read about a woman, who is more like the everyday woman. Of course, when you throw in an adorable, little doggie with a personality, that always helps. :) I will continue to read this series.

Patricia Altner said...

Donna

Thanks for the kind words about the review. Just wish the writing came more easily!

This will be a series I will also follow. Glad I found it with Book 1. That doesn't always happen for me.

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf said...

I have yet to get my hands on a copy of this book. It does look very good, although I'm not a fan of a weak female character either. I will give it a shot though, because I don't like to let the opinions of others effect my own choices. For all I know it will be a new favorite for me! Thanks for posting this review, it's made me remember that I need to get a copy of this book.

Jenni @ Falling Off The Shelf.

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Jenni

It doesn't hurt to try something new :)

There is still time to put your name in for the contest to win a copy.

Contest ends Thurs June 26 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for writing!