Apr 29, 2010

Brigit Zahara - Guest Blog and Contest

Want to know more about a hot, brawny, gladiator/vampire then read on. Today PVN welcomes Brigit Zahara who has created such a character in her new ebook The Turning! She is also offering a copy of her book to one lucky reader. See contest details at the end of the post.


BRAWN WITH BITE
How THE TURNING Came to Be



I’ve never written a paranormal historical before. A hotsy-totsy, steam-up-your-glasses and make-your-mouth-water contemporary bloodsucker tale, yes. But one that takes the reader back to another time? No. The closest I ever came was in the recollected background of my Native hero Huritt in the vampire ménage CREAMY DELIGHTS. Apart from that, the rest of my characters have both feet firmly planted in the present day.

Now this may seem odd to some considering the fact that the vast majority of my books deal with vampires who were created decades, sometimes even centuries, before the story takes place. Mind you I think my tendency to write about ancient beings and their experiences in the right here, right now could simply be a latent reflection of my own personal motto: Live in the present moment.
So what possessed me to reach back to Ancient Rome and the time of gladiators in THE TURNING?
 

The story took me there.
 

When I was writing the opening scene, which has Galeria sandwiched between her two vampire lovers and waking up in their cozy coffin for three, it was modern day. But as her fingers traced the “numerous raised scars” on Cassian’s muscular chest, the tale behind the marks swiftly emerged. I mean in a flash it was there. Who would have scars on their chest? Why gladiators of course!
 

Without hesitation, I dove into research of the time period, quickly solidifying each of the characters’ roles and uncovering the sometimes finicky details required to accurately depict Roman culture and lifestyle back in the day. What then unfolded was a passionate love triangle complicated by deception, death and immortality.
 

I love THE TURNING and the route it ultimately took but it begs the question:
 

How do you like your vampire stories — contemporary, historical or a bit of both?


Read about The Turning


Read an excerpt


CONTEST


[this contest has ended]


ONE lucky readers will win an ecopy of The Turning The contest is international!

*To enter:  Answer Brigit's question: How do you like your vampire stories — contemporary, historical or a bit of both?

You may also:

*Link to this contest on any of the social network sites, including Twitter, or your own web page. Let me know the url:  One chance for each link.
 

*If you are a Google follower (see sidebar on right): One chance
 

*If you are a member of the PVN Facebook page: One chance
 

*If you are an email subscriber: One chance

*If your email is not associated with your ID, please put the address in your response.




*The contest is international!


This contest closes May 13, 2010.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I like my vamps any way I can get them :D!!

I am a follower-pams00

I am a PVN facebook - facebook.com/pams00

I am a subcriber - pams00@aol.com

Pam S
pams00@aol.com

Unknown said...

I love reading all different types of stories regarding vampires. I am a subscriber. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

Julie S said...

I do like a good historical vampire story. Sure modern time vampires are interesting because they have a harder time hiding, but I do love the Interview with the Vampire era, and the flashbacks on Buffy and Angel to the centuries ago times.

I'm a google follower, fan on FB, and email subscriber. juliecookies(at)gmail.com

katsrus said...

I like them both ways. Your books sound wonderful.
I am a follower
And facebook (Sue Brandes)

Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

k_sunshine1977 said...

i say, there's not enough vampire historicals out there. i hate having to choose one or the other - why can't i have it all? bring it on!

i am an email subscriber - k_sunshine1977@yahoo.com

i am also a facebook fan - kisah jackson

Dot S.(ladeetdareads.wordpress.com) said...

I do like my vampire stories with a bit of both contemporary and historical. I think it develops the character.

salvagin@verizon.net
I follow
I subscribe

Kathleen said...

I normally like my vampire stories contemporary- currently I'm following Lynsay Sands and J.R. Ward. But I also love historical fiction, so I would probably like something set in the past too... So I guess a bit of both!

I am a google follower: Kathleen Gilligan

I am a facebook fan: facebook.com/kathleen.gilligan

I am an email subscriber: kegsoccer@aol.com

angie said...

I actually like both, but I have found myself reading more contemporary versions lately.
I tweeted http://twitter.com/bangersis/status/13101722139
I am a google follower
I am a member of the PVN Facebook page
I am an email subscriber
Thanks!
email bangersis(at)msn(dot)com

mrsshukra said...

I like both historical and contemporary!

Google follower!

Email subscriber!

delilah0180(at)yahoo(dot)com

FrankSandy said...

I like contemporary stories.

I'm an e-mail subscriber.

I follow you on Google.

walkerd@primus.ca

dsandyboy said...

I like my vamps any which way.

dsandyboy@gmail.com

dsandyboy said...

I follow you on Google.

dsandyboy@gmail.com

Ina said...

Hi Brigit!
thanks for being here - I saw your book a lot around in the blogosphere and can't wait to read it :)
Usually I like my vampire stories to be contemporary, but I've read a lot of books written that way and will def try books with historical influence!
wish you all the best,
Ina

+ follower
+ email subscriber

Unknown said...

I like vamps in historicals, contemporaries, and futuristics.
I'm a follower. +1
I'm an e-mail subscriber. +1
marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

Mindy said...

I LOVE Vamps with a bit of history and present day. The Vamps thoughts as to how times have changed always catch my intrest.
I'm a:
Google follower - Mindy
PVN Facebook - Mindy
email subscriber -
Birdsooong@aol.com

SiNn said...

a good mixture of both really


im a follower

subscriber/mortalsinn@yahoo.com
following on facebook/ ghostssinner

Unknown said...

I like reading about vamps in any setting! It doesn't really matter as long as it is a good story.

+1 spread the word on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000899165880&v=wall&story_fbid=123046954387410&ref=mf
+1 tweeted here: http://twitter.com/Stella_ExLibris/status/13842044143
+1 Google follower
+1 PVN Facebook fan
+1 e-mail subscriber

stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

Brigit Zahara said...

Hi all,

Thank you SO much for your great comments! I'm very glad you dropped by and put in your two cents worth on the topic of how you like your vampire stories!! It's been a great couple of weeks and I loved receiving your feedback.

Thanks too to Patricia for hosting this contest!! I LOVE this blog site and plan on returning many more times in the future.

Have a great weekend everybody and stay tuned...the winner of the THE TURNING guest blog giveaway contest will be announced shortly!

Love,
Brigit