Aug 6, 2009

Would-Be Witch - Review


Would-Be Witch
By Kimberly Frost
Berkley Trade (February 3, 2009)

[Reviewed by Melissa A. Palmer]

This is a cute book, the first in a new paranormal series. Tammy Jo comes from a family of witches but she really hasn’t had much of her own power, yet. She begins to cast spells after a family locket containing a family ghost is stolen. She has varying levels of success with the spells. Tammy Jo becomes hunted by werewolves and is caught in a romantic quandary between Zach, her ex-husband, and Bryn, a wizard/lawyer. Her main sidekick is Mercutio, an Ocelot kitten. As an owner of a Savannah cat, Mercutio won my heart immediately. There were also good supporting characters in this book, most notably Steve, the security guy, and the odd couple of Johnny and Rollie.

This book offers a lot to readers. It has action, mystery, romance and the paranormal angle. For the paranormal fans, it offers witches, vampires, werewolves and ghosts. The characters are well written and readers will care about them immediately. This book, while almost 300 pages, was a quick read; I did not want to put it down. It flowed well. The cover is eye-catching too. Tammy Jo is a striking, red head and there is Mercutio on the cover as well. I have already ordered the second book in this series Barely Bewitched Berkley Trade (September 1, 2009); I am a fan!


Reviewed by Melissa A. Palmer

Melissaenglish72@yahoo.com

http://melissasbookpicks.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Mandi said...

I have this in my tbr..really want to get to it:)

Vickie said...

This is on the WWBL. I love this cover!

StyleVamp said...

I love this book and the character! The writing had me laughing so much, I'm looking forward to the second book...