Jul 30, 2009

Dark Haven - Vampire Book Review


Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer3)
by Gail Z Martin
Solaris (February 2, 2009)

[reviewed by Amy Weidenaar]

I found this to be a little confusing at first. It’s the third installment of an epic series. I think what confused me the most was keeping the names (and nicknames) of some of the characters straight. As I read though, I found myself drawn into this magnificently written world. Each chapter brings you further into these characters’ lives, and it doesn’t take too long until you are fairly caught up and breathlessly waiting to see what is going to happen next. The book is 606 pages, and to begin with I thought it was going to be too long. By the end, I thought it was far too short and I am anxious to get my hands on the rest of the series.

Jonmarc Vahanian is now Lord of Dark Haven, a place where humans, ghosts, vayash moru (vampires), and shifters live together in harmony...mostly. Historically, the vayash moru have had a mortal as Lord of Dark Haven because when the vayash moru have been in charge, there has been conflict between them and the mortals. So while Jonmarc is juggling his new role in leadership, in a new land, as well as entering into marriage with the love of his life, he has the added pressure of “securing an heir” before heading off to engage in battle against.

This book has so much political intrigue going on, she was not only able to interact all of her lands but various species as well, making for incredible battles and subterfuge that is unparalleled in any recent book I’ve read. It’s no wonder that joining these characters when I did had my head spinning a little at first.

If you’re already a fan of this series, this book is one you should not miss. If you haven’t read any of them yet, I encourage you to start at the beginning of the series and give it a chance. If you’re a fan of Terry Goodkind’s “Sword of Truth” series or Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” series, I think you owe it to yourself to try this series as well. The world is vividly described, the character development is supreme, the pace doesn’t drag down at all, in summary…a very incredible read.

Reviewed by Amy Weidenaar for Patricia's Vampire Notes.

No comments: