Oct 17, 2010

Jeanne Stein - Interview and Contest

Jeanne C. Stein author of the fabulous Anna Strong series, is no stranger to PVN. It is always a pleasure to have her visit. Recently Chosen, Book 6 in the series was published and as usual readers are in for a real treat when reading the amazing adventures of one of my favorite vampire heroines. This time Anna's life takes a huge turn. In the following interview Jeanne answers some questions about the most recent book. She is also offering special prizes to PVN readers.

[see contest details at the end of the post]

Thank you, Jeanne. It's so good to have you back on PVN!

In Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, Book 6) Anna complete one year as a vampire. What has been her most difficult adjustment over this time?

Besides giving up Italian food? The most difficult adjustment has been to hide what she’s become from her family and friends. No dinners with her family (can’t eat real food), no workouts with her partner, David (gyms have mirrors everywhere), hiding her supernatural speed and strength when she’s on a job. She’s afraid to establish a relationship with a mortal for obvious reasons and her track record with supernatural’s has been less than stellar. It hasn’t been easy.

Where is Anna' first lover FBI agent Max? Will he ever be a part of her life again?

Actually, he reappears in the seventh book, Crossroads. Whether or not he’ll ever be a permanent part of her life is still under deliberation—Anna’s and mine.

Do you need to do a lot of research for the Anna Strong books? Such as in the area of magic, paranormal, bounty hunting...

I have always been interested the paranormal and magic, so I’ve been reading about witchcraft and vampires forever. I also wanted to do a straight mystery series about bounty hunters once upon a time, so I did research it. I even met and had a couple of discussion with a real bounty hunter. He’s the man I patterned David after. I would have liked to retain contact with this man but he literally disappeared off the face of the earth. One day his telephone was working and the next, it was disconnected with no forwarding number. He even vacated his office. I know there’s a story there and if I ever have the time, I’d like to do some private detective work and track him down!


In your last interview with PVN you described Anna' s friend Culebra. Would you please do the same for researcher and shapeshifter Daniel Frey?

Daniel Frey has been the closest thing to a best friend Anna has. And their relationship develops in the next book. In Chosen, you find out he has a son by a Navajo woman. The plot of Crossroads has that son being threatened by one of the Tribe of Thirteen. Anna and Frey travel to Monument Valley to protect him and are drawn into a plot that has both mortal and supernatural repercussions. Anna learns more about Frey’s background and heritage, especially his role as a Keeper. Her respect for him turns into love and a cryptic message from a Shaman has her believing they have a future together. Of course, in Anna’s world, nothing is ever that easy, is it?


What is next for Anna?

After Crossroads? I haven’t fully plotted the next book yet. Since the first story arc was completed (more or less) with Chosen, Anna will face the continuing trials of being the Chosen One and her personal life will become more complicated. Max is back, Frey has a son that she’s fallen in love with, there will be a crisis with her family. How that will all come together has yet to be revealed to me! 

Will Anna ever get an iPhone or Droid?

Who knows? She probably should. I think I’ll have David get an iPhone first and drive her crazy with it. It’s been my experience that most new iPhone users can’t put them down!!!

If a movie or TV program emerged from your series who would you like to see play Anna?

I think Kate Beckinsale. Physically, she fits my image (unlike most of the models used for my covers but don’t get me started about that!)

You've done a lot of traveling recently for signings and con appearances. How do you work in writing time or is it possible?

It’s very difficult. I always bring my laptop intending to write, but after a day of being “on” and an evening of socializing, I’m pretty well beat. It’s one of the toughest parts of the job.


Have any interesting con stories you would like to share?

ComicCon two years ago. My daughter is a huge Battlestar Galactica fan and I had chance to get her a picture autographed by James Callas and Edward James Olmos. Being a dork, I rushed up to James Callas and said, “My daughter is a huge Stargate fan.” Without missing a beat, James said, “That’s lovely, dear. How does she feel about Battlestar Galactica?”  I fell in love with him that very minute!!!


Is there anything you would like to add?

Just a thank you to the readers who have been so supportive. Keep in touch with me through my blog or website or Facebook. And if we’re at a conference together, come up and say hello. The only thing I like better than hearing from readers is meeting them.

And thank you, Pat, for inviting me back!


Read the interview of Oct. 6 2009 

Read the interview of August 26, 2008



CONTEST


Two lucky readers will win a choice of an Anna Strong book, set of magnets, pens, a surprise or two.

Contest is international!


To be eligible do ONE of the following:

* Leave a comment
* Ask Jeanne a question

If your email is not associated with your ID, please put the address in your response.

Contest ends Oct 30, 2010

25 comments:

SciFiGuy said...

Patricia thanks for having Jeanne as a guest! Jeanne your series is always on my must buy list. I listened to Chosen on audio book and the story was terrific as always and I love the narrator that does Anna's voice. Of course by the end of the book you were sneaky about revealing just what abilities Anna actually has as a Chosen so I am really looking forward to the next book to find out more. Love your blog too. Your preview of things to come is intriguing.

debbie said...

I enjoyed the interview. I would like to ask what was the most interesting fact about vampires or witchcraft that you uncovered in your research? I would love to read the book.
twoofakind12@yahoo.com

Dot S.(ladeetdareads.wordpress.com) said...

Jeanne, I read the first book and I'm excited about finishing the others to date. I liked Max, don't you think they could still be an item? Or maybe I should ask Anna that question.
salvagin@verizon.net

SiNn said...

your a ne wtome author but ive read so many awesome thingsbaout urbooks ur on my wish list


afte rbook 6 is there going to be more or what im sur eit probabalygot answere dbefore but like i said its all new to me

mortalsinn@yahoo.com

booklover0226 said...

Hello, Jeanne.

What is your opinion on book trailers? Do you think they help in book sales?

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

I am a follower and email subscriber. I would love to read your books. I love reading about vampires, wolves angels, etc. I read a variety of different types of books. What interesting information have you learned about vampires in your research. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

elaing8 said...

Hi Jeanne,
I love this series and am rooting for Daniel and Anna.
Is her and David's new partner( I forget her name at the moment) be a thorn in Anna's side? Will she learn what Anna is?
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Rachel498 said...

Hi Jeanne! I've heard so many great things about your books. I cant wait to read them.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Res498(AT)aol.com

Jeanne Stein said...

Hi all-- sorry I'm late to the party. Today was one of the first Sunday's I've been home for awhile so I've been out doing yard work. I will continue to check in, though, and answer all your questions.

SciFiGuy-- thanks so much for always having such nice things to say. I wasn't sure about the narrator at first, but she's grown on me!

Debbie-- I think the most interesting thing I've learned about vampires is the role they've played in history. Vampires were actually one of the targets of the Inquistion. So they've been taken seriously for a long time.

Dot-- Max does make an appearance in the seventh book, Crossroads. Anna hasn't told me if he'll be sticking around yet, though! :-)

SinN, I'm contracted through book eight. If enough readers want more, there's a good chance I'll get to do more!

J.

Jeanne Stein said...

Hi Tracey-- I've never tried my hand at book trailers and I've heard mixed reviews, so I can't really say. What do you think about them?

Tore, I think I answered this for Debbie. It's just a constant source of amazement how every civilization has a vampire of some sort in its mythology. There's a reason they've been around so long....

Ekaing8, Tracey is in book seven, too, and she and Anna have an adventure. I think they'll end up being friends. Anna needs a gal pal.

Rachel, i have too many too count. Charlaine Harris, Jackie Kessler, Richelle Mead, Robert B. Parker...those are just a few of must buy authors. But I've read at least one of just about every UF author out there.

Ok-- I think I'm caught up so it's back outside! Don't know how many of these glorious Colorado fall afertnoons we'll have left.

Thanks for playing and keep the questions coming!!

Julie S said...

This series sounds really good. I really like the covers of the books.

juliecookies(at)gmail.com

Unknown said...

Readers love meeting authors at conferences too Jeanne. I cannot wait to finish this series.

robin [at] intensewhisper [dot] com

throuthehaze said...

I haven't read this series yet, but I absolutely love the covers :)
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

Pam P said...

No Italian food - poor Anna! I haven't yet read this series, but definitely on my radar now.

EVA SB said...

I love the story about ComicCon especially as I am also a BSG fan.

eva.s.black[@]gmail[.]com

buddyt said...

A lot of blog are saying that they are tiring of vampire/werewolf etc. stories and are looking for something else.

Do you agree with this and if so what is your feeling ?

Thanks for the giveaway.

Carol T

buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

Jeanne Stein said...

Julie and throuthehaze: the cover artist is Cliff Nielsen and the cover designer is Judith Lagerman. They are both very talented.

Robin, hope we see each other at a con one of these days!

Eva, James is so darned cute. He didn't make me feel like the ass I had just made of myself! :-)

Pam-- hope you like the books.

Buddyt, since vampire stories and legends have been around so long, I think they'll be around a lot longer. Readers are still buying them which means publishers are still buying them and (hopefully) I'll be able to keep writing them. I like my character and Anna still has few more stories to tell.

Thanks all for playing!

J.

CrystalGB said...

Hi Jeanne. Your book sound great. I love the cover. :)

Crystal816[at]hotmail[dot}com

Jeanne Stein said...

thanks, Crystal!

J.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great contest! & Great interview.
Jeanne, you are a new author to me and your books sound Awesome. Even if I don't win, I'm still going to go buy you :) Approximately how many books will there be in the Anna Strong Chronicles & Are you working on any new series?
Stephmartin71(at)yahoo(dot)com

Jeanne Stein said...

Hi Steph-- right now I'm contracted through book eight. Seven will come out next year. I hope to write more but of course, that's up to you readers and the publisher!

I'm working on a couple of other things. One, a Word War I series is being shopped now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a historical/paranormal involving angels and demons.

I'd also like to try my hand at a straight mystery again. So I'm busy plotting that one!

J.

Unknown said...

Great interview! This looks like my kind of series, I'm adding it to my list.
marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

doreen lamoureux said...

Super interview. Chosen sounds great. Sad to say, I haven't read any on your books yet but they are just what I love to read.
I know you said it's a hard job ...to be a writer but it must be so rewarding.

dorcontest at gmail dot com

Vickie said...

SciFiGuy!! You are so lucky! I want to hear Anna's voice, too!

No worries on entering me in the drawing. I am good with books and prezzies (even have a devil duck). Just wanted to say hey to Jeanne. Hey Jeanne! Lady K says hey too.

Jeanne Stein said...

Marlene and Dor-- thanks for entering the contest and for considering giving my books a try. And Dor, writing is by far the best job I've ever had. I feel very fortunate to be pursuing my dream.

Vicki and Lady K-- hugs to you both!

J.