Nov 20, 2008

Twilight Movie


There's no getting around the fact that Twilight the movie opens this weekend in theaters. I enjoyed the book very much but still haven't decided if I want to see the movie. Any readers who do please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.


Meanwhile I'm "reprinting" the review of Stephenie Meyer's book that I posted in April.

"I have heard so much about the vampire series Twilight by Stephanie Meyer, but like too many adults I turned my nose up at this because after all it is for the YA crowd and I'm far beyond this age group. But finally I caved and picked up book 1, also named Twilight (Little, Brown 2006), and was mesmerized from the first word.

"Bella recently moved to Fork, WA, a small town where her father Charlie is the local police chief. Her last residence was Phoenix AZ with her mother. Bella wants to allow her mom more time to spend with boyfriend Phil and so decides to live with her dad even though she hates the horrid, cold, sunless weather that is ever present in this area. She always considered herself an outsider in high school and assumes the situation will remain the same in Forks, but in fact she does make a few friends and even has a couple of boys who give her intense, unwanted attention.

"The first week she notices five students sitting together at the lunch table, sitting quietly, barely interacting, and each one of exquisite appearance. Those are the Cullens, she is told. They keep to themselves. Later in the day she is surprised to find herself sitting next to Edward Cullen in Biology class. He does not speak to her and seems actively hostile. Weeks later after several interactions, some traumatic, they have come to know each other well and feel a deep kinship. It is then that Edward confesses to her why he acted so strangely in the beginning. He and his family are vampires who live among humanity, and feed themselves on animal blood, but Edward found Bella so alluring that he feared he would let his desire overcome his actions. Bella accepts this calmly. She has fallen in love. Edward feels the same, and he learns to control his bloodlust while still keeping Bella close. Even most of Edward's family accept the human Bella in their midst, but having a human in the vampire world inevitably brings dangers. Twilight's mixture of romance, gripping suspense, and deftly plotted fantasy make compelling reading for all ages not only young adults."

Below are a few sites worth checking out:

Marta Acosta's Vampire Wire has listed several reviews of Twilight.

Twilight Lexicon

Twilight Study Guide

Twilight countdown: The critics weigh in

Twilight
movie soundtrack includes Iron & Wine, more


Twilight on YouTube

10 comments:

FatalisFortuna said...

I've only finished the first half of the book, I'm reading the second half tomorrow, but I went ahead to the midnight showing of the movie. I really enjoyed it, and it seemed faithful to the book, although they glossed over a lot of the minor or transitional material.

Patricia Altner said...

I am glad to hear that the movie is faithful to the book. Of course in the interest of time not everything can be covered, but sounds like they did a pretty good job.

I'll wait a week or 2 before going to see it. Maybe some of the hype will have settled down by then.

ladiogenes said...

While on one hand, one can hardly argue with commercial success from the objective, financial standpoint, on the other hand, isn't it time for a smarter vampire story? For my rationale, see: http://www.InParisDark.com

Patricia Altner said...

ladiogenes

Saw your website. Sounds like you have an interesting story. Best of luck with it!

Anonymous said...

I watched the "Twilight" movie. Even though it leaned more toward the YA I enjoyed it very much. I hope to enjoy the books just as much.

Anonymous said...

A bit late to the party, I know, but I saw the movie not too long ago and although it stayed relatively true to the book (I'd say about 90% true to book, but a few scenes were reworked for obvious reasons, the main one being time constraints), I must say I preferred the reading experience.

Overall, the camera angles, lighting, and some of the special effects seemed painfully low-budget. And while I know they were on a tight budget, I was still left wondering exactly how tight that budget actually was. I wasn't impressed with Kristen Stewart's treatment of Bella, nor the narration throughout, and the supporting actors for the students seemed too melodramatic at some points.

Now, if I were just to see the movie without first having read the entire series, I would probably have enjoyed it. Oh, and just like the book, the actual action doesn't come until roughly the end. :)

If you'd like to read a funny, but eerily accurate take on the movie, read the 'Twilight in Fifteen Minutes' overview. It's absolutely hilarious.

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Wanda

Interesting to read your comment on the filrm. If you do read the books or at least the first book I'd like to know how you think they compare.

Patricia Altner said...

Ann-Kat

Thanks for brief review of the movie. Since I have read and very much enjoyed Twilight I really don't think I would like the film.

I did read Twilight in Fifteen Minutes. You're right! It's very funny!

Anonymous said...

i don't understand what is the appeal of Robert Pattinson (Edward); he has an unusually shaped nose

Patricia Altner said...

Hi coffee

Still haven't seen the movie, but have seen plenty of photos of Pattison. I don't find him that attractive, but there are lots of gals who do. To each his own.

Thanks for commenting!