Nov 5, 2008

Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. HarperCollins (September 30, 2008).

This is a children's book I was surprised to learn. I first read about it a week ago, I don't remember where, but it was online and there was a link to the Neil Gaiman page where videos of him reading from this book are available. As a rule I don't like having fiction read to me. I decided this after several long trips with a variety of novels on CD, and losing patience with everyone after 2 CDS, 3 at the most. But when I arrived at this particular site the video began without any prompting by me. Gaiman read from Chapter one. It took 45 minutes. I closed my eyes and hung on every word. It is now possible to hear all 8 chapters online, for free. Prepare yourself for an outstanding voyage.

BTW - I have ordered the audio CD for my next trip.

From the publisher: "Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy.

He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. [Note: he's a vampire.]

There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy-an ancient Indigo Man beneath the hill, a gateway to a desert leading to an abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible menace of the Sleer.

But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family. . . .

Beloved master storyteller Neil Gaiman returns with a luminous new novel for the audience that embraced his New York Times bestselling modern classic Coraline. Magical, terrifying, and filled with breathtaking adventures, the graveyard book is sure to enthrall readers of all ages."

5 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I really want to read this one and Coraline too but haven't gotten around to doing so yet.

darbyscloset said...

Oh cool! I just downloaded all eight so I listen on my computer...would love to have the book thou! Thanks for the heads up!
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Ladytink and Darby

I was so excited to find out about this author and his new book. I wanted to spread the word.

Vickie said...

CORALINE freaked me right the heck out and I just saw a teaser trailer for the movie coming out next year. YIKES!
I am definitely forward to THE GRAVEYARD BOOK.

Patricia Altner said...

Vickie

I haven't read Coraline, but it sounds like something I would want to.

Hard to believe Gaiman is considered a writer for kids