Dec 6, 2010

Marie Treanor - Interview and Contest

Please welcome Marie Treanor author of the sensuous, vampire romance Blood on Silk (NAL September 7, 2010). She has graciously given time to PVN to answer a few questions. She is also offering one lucky reader an e-copy of one of her previous works. [See contest details at the end of the post.]

PVN: In your recently published novel Blood on Silk the hero is Saloman and the heroine is Elizabeth Silk. Would you give PVN readers a brief sketch about both?

Marie: Happy to! Elizabeth is a quiet but promising academic, researching her PhD in vampire superstitions in Eastern Europe. She’s wary of men and doesn’t make friends easily, but she is loyal and determined in character and has no problem sticking up for herself – a trait that comes in very useful when she finds herself catapulted into a scary new world of vampires and hunters where she is the most important piece on the chess board. She has to learn to fight physically and to deal with an unwanted and overwhelming sexual attraction to a being she knows is a monster.

Saloman begins the story as a legend, the most powerful vampire who ever existed until he was betrayed and staked in the seventeenth century. Awakened by Elizabeth’s blood, he sets out to take his revenge on those who betrayed him and to grow strong on the blood of their descendants. His ultimate goal is to rule over both vampires and humans - which he sets about with ruthless efficiency.

I confess I like Saloman: he’s frightening, inhuman, unreachable, overwhelmingly powerful, merciless and determined, but he also has humour and understanding, and soaks up knowledge like a sponge. You begin to suspect that he does have a moral code – just not one comprehensible to humans. And although he never lets it halt him, as the last of the Ancient vampire race he’s lonely and has rare moments of vulnerability which Elizabeth manages to touch, even if she isn’t always aware of it.


PVN: How did you research material for Blood on Silk ?

Marie: I visited Transylvania and Budapest, several years ago, so I wrote about the locations from a mixture of memory and internet research. I’ve also studied the history of the region for a long time, including the life of Vlad Dracula (the Impaler) who, in Blood on Silk, was a friend of Saloman’s. J It was fun bringing this all together in Blood on Silk.

PVN: Why do you think of vampires as romantic heroes?

Marie: Weird, isn’t it? On the face of it, vampires are terrifying blood-sucking killers, determined to prolong their existence by ending the lives of others – not many redeeming qualities there! And yet there is something very attractive about all that power, and the bad-boy image, especially when it’s concentrated on the heroine.  And then, there’s the immortality factor – who wouldn’t want the love of their life to live forever? Obviously, to be a hero, he can’t be all bad, and there has to be genuine feeling for the heroine, but I still like my vampire heroes to have a bit of bite (if you’ll pardon the pun) and be a little on the scary side. To me, the romance is more poignant if it’s contrasted with a bit of inhuman behaviour.

PVN: What are some of your favorite vampire stories or authors?

Marie: Bram Stoker’s “Dracula” without a doubt, and also Anne Rice’s “Interview with the Vampire” and “The Vampire Lestat.” As well as being wonderful books in their own rights, they’ve had huge influence on the current vampire genres – both horror and romance – whether directly or indirectly. I’ve enjoyed lots of more modern vampire romances too – Michele Hauf, JR Ward, Charlaine Harris, Lynsay Sands’s, and lots more

PVN: What attracts you to the paranormal?

Marie: I think it’s the fact that my imagination can go absolutely anywhere. And paranormal mixes wonderfully with other genres that I enjoy, such as suspense and romance, fantasy, humour, gothic horror and so on. I love mixing them up!

PVN: Please describe your writing environment and your writing day.

Marie: I write using a laptop, and it goes wherever I go, which was very important before my daughter went to school! Now, I write mostly in a quiet room at the back of the house, where we keep most of our books and favourite things acquired on European travels. And there’s an antique bureau just big enough for my laptop.

I do most of my writing after taking my daughter to school. I only pause to make coffee and the odd snack which I consume at my desk while I’m working. I stop about 3pm to fetch my daughter from school again. Occasionally I can get in an extra half hour or so after that, but it’s more difficult, especially after my sons get home from high school, and the house is full of noise and phone calls and people. When I’m on a roll, or if we have people staying and it’s difficult to find writing time, I get up early and write for a few hours before everyone wakes up.

PVN: What are you working on currently?

Marie: A new vampire story, plus a couple of new ideas… Also, in the next week or two, I’m expecting edits of Blood Eternal, the third Awakened by Blood book following Elizabeth and Saloman.



PVN: Would you mind telling us about your home in Scotland?

Marie: Not at all! I live in a seaside village on the east coast of Scotland, just five minutes walk from the beach. It’s a quiet place with a long history, and parts of it are very pretty – including the beach. Occasionally, from the village, you can see seals and dolphins. Our house is Victorian and chaotic, full of toys, books, papers, musical instruments and electronic gadgets, all of which seem to migrate to the wrong place and stay there for months before we notice. At weekends and evenings, very often, it’s also full of teenagers playing computer games and/or loud music – one of my sons plays drums in a band and he likes to share the joy. Fortunately, we have understanding neighbours!

PVN: How can readers contact you?

Marie: They can email me any time at Marie@MarieTreanor.com – I’m always happy to hear from readers! I’m also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marie-Treanor-Paranormal-Romance/105866982782360, where I post writing and book news and am always glad to chat.

PVN: Many thanks, Marie! Now for the contest.




Contest

*One lucky winner will win a copy of an ebook from Marie's backlist. Go to http://www.marietreanor.com/books.html to see the selection.
[note: Blood on Silk is not yet available as an ebook]

*To enter the contest do one of two things:
    
      Ask Marie a question.
                   or
      Make a comment on Marie's post.

*The contest is open internationally



*Be sure your email address is associated with your comment.

*Contest ends at midnight PST on 12-20-2010

23 comments:

debbie said...

I enjoyed the interview. I was wondering if there was another creature besides vampires you ever felt interested in writing about?
I look forward to reading the book.
twoofakind12@yahoo.com

Marie Treanor said...

Thank you, Debbie! Glad you enjoyed it - Patricia asked good questions :).

And yes, I don't rule out writing about any paranormal creature! As well as vampires, I've written about ghosts, sorcerers, time-travellers, werewolves, dragon-shifters and some slightly less usual shifters such as a water man, a swan and a crash test dummy :).

Hope you enjoy the book!

Marie

Marie Treanor said...

Patricia, I meant to say thank you so much for interviewing me - it was great fun :).

And a quick word about Blood on Silk in ebook - it IS available on Kindle etc, but for the purposes of the contest, I don't actually have asccess to a copy to give as a prize!

SandyG265 said...

Your house in Scotland sounds like a great place to live.

Unknown said...

Great interview. I would love to read your books. Do you have recommendations for someone who would like to try to write a book. Please enter me in contest. Tore923@aol.com

Marie Treanor said...

Sandy, it's as great place if you don't mind untidiness and clutter :). We're trying to do a major clear-up for Christmas!

Thank you, Tore, glad you liked the interview :). As to writing advice, I suppose it depends how far down the road you already are! I'd say read lots and keep practising; write whenever you can, and join writing groups which critique each other's work. Hope this helps! (Let me know if it doesn't!)

Marie

booklover0226 said...

I read The Devil and Via and loved it.

Marie, do you work with one particular cover artist? Blood on Silk's cover is wonderful.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Toni Anderson said...

Great interview, Marie!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie,

Ah, you describing your house brought back such warm memories!!!

Did you get up so early while I was visiting you? Hehe!!!!

You don't have to put me in for the contest, I think I've read everything you've put out...right???

Good luck everyone, Marie writes fantastic stories.

Valerie
in Germany

Fedora said...

Hi, Marie and Patricia! Lovely interview--it's always a treat to have the chance to read a little more about one's favorite authors :)

I know what you mean about clutter--I'm a bit of a packrat (OK, that's an understatement--I'm a terrible packrat) and my husband's on a mission to declutter. It's been hard! Not to mention incredibly time consuming! ;p

Exciting to hear you're working on more stories! That's what we readers like to hear! ;)

Marie Treanor said...

Hi Tracey, nice to see you here! Thanks for your kind words about The Devil and Via!

To answer your question, no I don't work with just one cover artist. My publishers have always decided who does the covers, with greater or lesser input from me, depending on their custom. Usually less :). But I've had a lot of lovely covers from some very talented artists. For Blood on Silk, which I agree is particularly beautiful, I think I only expressed a desire for somethng atmospheric, and they certainly delivered on that!

Marie

Marie Treanor said...

Hi, Toni, and thanks! Glad you dropped in to read it :)

Thanks for the plug, Valerie! And I confess that when you and Kyla visited, I'd cleared my decks in advance and didn't get up early at all :)

Hi Fedora! Glad you enjoyed the interview :). I hear you on throwing things out. We're all hoarders, so every so often we can't move for stuff and have to be brutal - but it always breaks somebody's heart :). Thanks for coming by!

Marie

Jud said...

Marie: If Blood on Silk were ever picked up by a movie studio, and you had the luxury of casting the two main characters, whom would you choose?

Marie Treanor said...

Hi, Jud. Goodness, interesting question! I'm not sure... There's a British actor called Rufus Sewell, who SORT of looks the part. Or Vigo Mortensen from Lord of the Rings. Or Johnny Depp, just because he seems to be ble to fit any part :)

For Elizabeth, I can't really think of any actress who looks the part. Let me think and consult and I'll gert back to you :)

Marie

Asylumgirl said...

Hi Marie! Your home in Scotland sounds like a dream. My family on my father's side is Irish and I hope to make it there someday, you know before I die. lol

Deidre
deidre_durance at hotmail dot com

Marie Treanor said...

Hi Deidre,
Thanks for coming by! Hope you make it to Ireland - and Scotland - LONG before you die :). One day I might make it to America too!

Marie

Dot S.(ladeetdareads.wordpress.com) said...

Hi Marie, I'm a few days late getting here but so glad I didn't miss your interview. I really like my vampires to have bite along with sizzling sensuality. It seems you have been able to give a girl what she wants. lol I have every intention of reading BLOOD ON SILK (fabulous title BTW).

salvagin@verizon.net

Marie Treanor said...

Hi Dot! Very glad you made it :). Sounds like we have a lot in common in our vampire tastes! Hope you enjoy BLOOD ON SILK.

Marie

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Hey Marie, does it seem strange to live in a Victorian home but have the electronic trappings of the 21st century encroaching on you?

I follow on GFC.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com

Marie Treanor said...

Hi Lisa,
No, that doesn't feel strange for some reason :). I don't mind adding modern conveniences to an old house - that feels natural - but I do hate when original features are replaced with something inappropriately modern...
When we moved in, the original fireplace in our sitting room had been replaced with a particularly ugly 1970s monstrosity that went half way round the room. Our first home improvement was to get rid of that and find an antique one of the right sort of age and appearance - made a huge difference to the room.
Am I ranting? :)
Marie

katsrus said...

Your book cover is one of my favorites. Beautiful and alluring. Was it hard to choose when part of your research you would use for your book?
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Elena Gray said...

I love the fact that Elizabeth is the "girl next door" that get's thrown into this new world and has to fight for herself!

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com