Oct 31, 2011

The Graveyard Book

Neil Gaiman's Newbery Award winner The Graveyard Book (HarperCollins, September, 2008) is my choice for best Halloween reading. Actually it's a great book any time of year. Magical, lyrical, uplifting - there are not enough superaltives to describe what is catagorized as a children's story. I left my childhood eons ago and still found it mesmerizing from the first word. What makes The Graveyard Book even more special is the presence of a wise, and caring vampire.

Synopsis: Neil Gaiman tells the unforgettable story of Nobody Owens, a living, breathing boy whose home is a graveyard, raised by a guardian who belongs neither to the mortal world nor the realm of the dead. Among the mausoleums and headstones of his home, Bod experiences things most mortals can barely imagine. But real, flesh-and-blood danger waits just outside the cemetery walls: the man who murdered the infant Bod’s family will not rest until he finds Nobody Owens and finishes the job he began many years ago.

4 comments:

LoriStrongin said...

Unpopular opinion time--while I am a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, I honestly wasn't as blown away by this book as so many others were. I mean, I liked it and all, and I do appreciate how Gaiman introduced the vampire and the werewolf without Bod (or anyone else) ever acknowledging them for what they were. But overall, Bod didn't grip my heartstrings as a main character. Neither did the other characters, TBH.

I'm much more of a Stardust, Anansi Boys, and American Gods fan than I was of Graveyard Book.


Smiles!
Lori

World Book Message said...

Beautiful piece of work. Go ahead. Thanks.

The World Bookmarking said...

Eligible work. Worthy of applause. Thanks.

Global Directory Submissions said...

Fine post. I think will be enjoyable to everyone.Thanks.